We are in Safe Start Phase 2. Read our press release.

Questions about COVID-19? Visit our COVID-19 pages.

We suspended most in-person services. Read our blog post.

Storm drain to sewer

South Tacoma Groundwater Protection District

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Businesses do their part to protect Tacoma's drinking water.

We help protect the City of Tacoma's drinking water. South Tacoma Groundwater Protection District (STGPD) sits above the South Tacoma aquifer. The groundwater stored here can supply up to 40% of Tacoma's drinking water.

What is groundwater?

Precipitation that seeps into the ground. We call this infiltration. Groundwater stores in gravel, sand, sandstone or fractured rock underground. We call this an aquifer.

What is stormwater?

Precipitation that runs along the ground surface. Stormwater can infiltrate the ground or flow through storm systems. It can carry contaminants into groundwater, streams, lakes or oceans.

Infiltration within the STGPD.

Pollution occurs when water picks up contaminants along the ground surface. Polluted water can reach the drinking water aquifer. Some common contaminants include:

  • Auto fluids.
  • Sediment.
  • Metals.
  • Soaps and degreasers.

Reduce pollution and costly clean up.

We work with businesses to prevent chemicals from entering soil and water. We regulate businesses with:

  • Aboveground storage tanks.
  • Underground storage tanks.
  • Hazardous substances at regulated quantities (product and waste with 220 pounds or more).
  • Stormwater infiltration facilities.

We do not regulate private homes.

How do I get a permit?

Submit a complete application with fee. We will inspect your facility and issue a permit.

See our FAQs and fee schedule for more information.

How often will the Health Department inspect my business?

We inspect permitted facilities every other year. If you don't comply or have large quantities of hazardous substances, we may inspect your business more often.

What are the regulations?

The rules and guidelines we follow to regulate how businesses manage their hazardous materials.


Contact Glenn Rollins at or (253) 798-3503.


Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.

Acrobat Reader Download Acrobat Reader Flash Player Download Flash Player Windows Media Player Download Windows Media Player Microsoft Silverlight Download Microsoft Silverlight Word Viewer Download Word Viewer Excel Viewer Download Excel Viewer PowerPoint Viewer Download PowerPoint Viewer