Building or changing a school?
State regulations require Tacoma-Pierce County Health Department to review your plans before work begin on public or private schools. We will inspect your school after construction is complete to verify you met all design and installation requirements.
When do we require plan review?
All school projects require Health Department approval before construction. Examples include:
- Building a new school.
- Adding or moving portables.
- Changing an existing building into a school.
- Changing sports fields.
- Changing traffic routes.
- Moving or installing science labs.
Contact us for:
- Consultation when your project design development is 50% complete. Call Community Safety at (253) 798-4430.
- Final inspection when construction is complete. Call us to schedule a pre-opening at (253) 798-6460, option 3.
What you need
Food plan review application and checklist—When adding or changing a school kitchen, student store, concession stand, or coffee shop.
Contact us at email@example.com or (253) 798-4430 Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.