Building or changing a school?
State regulations require the Health Department to review your plans before work begins on public or private schools. We will inspect your school after construction is complete to verify you met all design and installation requirements.
When do we require plan review?
All school projects require Health Department approval before construction. Examples include:
- Building a new school.
- Remodeling an existing school.
- Adding or moving portables.
- Changing an existing building into a school.
- Changing sports fields.
- Moving or installing science labs.
- Adding a K-12 playground or moving playground equipment.
Contact us for:
- Consultation when your project design development is 50% complete—call (253) 798-4430.
- Final inspection when construction is complete—call (253) 798-4430 to schedule a pre-opening inspection.
What you need
School Plan Review Packet—Always required when building, remodeling or converting an existing building into a school. Also required when adding/moving portables, changing sports fields or installing/relocating science labs.
Playground Plan Review Application—When adding, modifying or moving a K-12 school playground. Review will be billed at an hourly rate if submitted separately from a school plan review.
Water Recreation Facility Plan Review Packet—When adding or changing a swimming pool or hot tub.
Food Plan Review Packet—When adding or changing a school kitchen, student store, concession stand or coffee shop. Also required if the culinary arts program will be catering to the public.
Email email@example.com or call (253) 798-4430 Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.