Building or changing a school?
The State requires the Health Department to review your plans before work begins on public or private schools. We will also inspect your school after all the work is complete to ensure all requirements are met.
When do we require plan review?
We require approval before any work can begin on:
- Building a new school.
- Remodeling an existing school.
- Adding or moving portables.
- Changing an existing building into a school.
- Changing sports fields.
- Moving or installing science labs.
- Adding a K-12 playground or moving playground equipment.
Contact us at (253) 798-4430 for:
- Consultation when you have 50% of the design development done on your project.
- Scheduling a final inspection when construction is complete.
What you need
School Plan Review Packet—Required to build, remodel or convert an existing building into a school. It’s also required to add/move portables, change sports fields, and install/relocate science labs.
Playground Plan Review Application—To add, modify or move a school playground. The review will be billed at an hourly rate if the application is submitted separately from a school plan review.
Water Recreation Facility Plan Review Packet—To add or change a swimming pool or hot tub.
Food Plan Review Packet—To add or change a school kitchen, student store, concession stand or coffee shop. Also required if the culinary arts program will be catering to the public.
Email email@example.com or call (253) 798-4430 Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.