Cities and towns planning to make a difference for health.
The Healthy Communities Awards recognize local jurisdictions that make special efforts to influence the health of their communities. The Healthy Communities Award Ceremony takes place each year at the Pierce County Regional Council General Assembly.
2019 Healthy Communities Award Applications Now Open.
We recognize local jurisdictions committed to promote healthy communities or healthy equity by implementing policies and actions from their comprehensive plan.
Complete the award application by 4:30p.m. on Friday, Oct. 18, 2019.
The 2018 award recognized local jurisdictions which promote social, economic and environmental benefits for their communities by either:
- Implementing policies/actions from their adopted comprehensive plan updates.
- Undertaking a project initiated by City Council.
- Fife Brookeville Garden Park.
- Lakewood Downtown Subarea Plan.
- Pierce County Foothills Trail—South Prairie to Buckley.
- Sumner Parks and Trails Plan.
- Tacoma Livable City Year.
- University Place Regional Growth Center Plan.
- Tacoma East Side Community Center.
Learning opportunities for planners.
We offer scholarships for planners to attend the American Public Health Association Annual Meetings. This is a great way to learn about public health as it relates to planning. Requirements may vary year to year. So might the number of scholarships awarded, depending on program budget.
Upon return, awardees present what they learned to:
- Their own jurisdictions.
- Board of Health.
- Growth Management Coordinating Committee.
- Pierce County Regional Council.
- Courtney Brunell, Planning Manager, City of Lakewood.
Contact Amy Pow, Principal Planner, at email@example.com or (253) 576-6222.