Cities and towns planning to make a difference for health.
The Healthy Communities Awards recognize local jurisdictions that make a special effort to influence the health of their communities. We present the awards each year at the General Assembly of the Pierce County Regional Council.
2019 Healthy Communities Awards.
The 2019 awards honored local jurisdictions that:
- Promoted social, economic and environmental benefits for their communities.
- Implemented policies/actions they adopted from updates to their comprehensive plans.
- Took on projects initiated by their City Council.
- Lakewood Colonial Plaza Complete Streets Project.
- Fife SR99 Pedestrian Improvement Project.
- Sumner Town Center Plan.
- Fife: Brookeville Garden Park.
- Lakewood: Downtown Subarea Plan.
- Pierce County: Foothills Trail-South Prairie to Buckley.
- Sumner: Parks and Trails Plan.
- Tacoma: Livable City Year.
University Place: Regional Growth Center Plan.
- Tacoma: East Side Community Center.
Learning opportunities for planners.
We offer scholarships for planners to attend the annual meetings of the American Public Health Association. This is a great way to learn about planning and public health. Requirements for the scholarships may change from year to year. The number of scholarships awarded may also change, depending on program budget.
Upon return, awardees present what they learned to:
- Their own jurisdictions.
- Board of Health.
- Growth Management Coordinating Committee.
- Pierce County Regional Council.
- Courtney Brunell, Planning Manager for the City of Lakewood.
Contact Amy Pow, Principal Planner, at email@example.com or (253) 576-6222.