Decorative pattern - Network - Blue

Frequently Asked Questions

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Do I need a permit?

Who needs to get a temporary food establishment permit?

Do you plan to serve or sell food at events open to the public? You must get a permit. Your event is public if you advertise using:

  • Fliers.
  • Banners.
  • A-boards or signs.
  • Mentions in newspaper articles or ads.
  • Facebook, Twitter or other social media.
  • Any other form of public advertising.

Church dinners, by invitation only, or unadvertised events for members and their guests do not need a permit.

Do bake sales need a temporary food establishment permit?

Non-profit organizations operating for religious, charitable or educational purposes may hold bake sales with homemade baked goods not requiring temperature control. You must individually wrap items. A clearly visible sign at the point of sale must read, “Food was prepared at a kitchen not inspected by the Health Department.” Such bake sales do not need a permit.

What’s not allowed at temporary food establishments?

Some items and processes are not allowed at temporary food establishments. This includes, but is not limited to:

  • Raw milk.
  • Cooking gyro bundles or cones.
  • Cooling food of any kind.
  • Room temperature storage or time as a control for items like sushi rice.

More information

Call (253) 798-4709.


Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.

Acrobat Reader Flash Player Windows Media Player Microsoft Silverlight Word Viewer Excel Viewer PowerPoint Viewer