New business, new owner or making changes to an existing food business?
We can help.
Through plan review, we make sure you have the equipment and processes needed to make safe food. It's an important and required step to operate a food business.
Before you turn in your application.
- Contact your local Building, Planning and Zoning Departments for more requirements. Inquire about grease traps and hoods.
- Get your Washington Business License.
- Complete the Water Adequacy Verification or Application.
- Complete the Sewer/Septic Verification.
How to apply.
We have 1 application for new businesses, change of menu or equipment and remodels. Submit a completed application with plan review fee (non-refundable).
To get started:
- Complete a Plan Review Packet.
- Complete additional forms if you will have catering, vending or a mobile food unit.
- Submit your packet, forms and plan review fee payment in person, by mail or online through Envision Connect Online (you'll need to set up an account and password).
How long will the process take?
You must get your application to us at least 30 days before you plan to open. We usually respond within 10 days with an approval or to ask more questions. During busy times, it may take longer.
What happens once I’m approved?
We will email an approval letter to you and the Building Department. The letter will state which permit you need and the permit fee you must pay. Once you are ready to open:
- Pay your permit fee.
- Schedule a pre-opening inspection at least 5 business days before your food business will open.
Call (253) 798-4711 or come in for a consultation. We're available Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.