New business, new owner or making changes to an existing food business?
We can help.
Through plan review, we make sure you have the equipment and processes in place to make safe food. It's an important and required step to operate a restaurant.
Before you turn in your application.
- Contact your local building, planning and zoning departments for more requirements. Inquire about grease traps and hoods.
- Get your Washington State Business License.
- Complete the Water Adequacy Verification or Application.
- Complete the Sewer/Septic Verification.
How to apply.
We have one application for new businesses, change of menu or equipment and remodels. Submit a completed application and fees. Plan review fees are not refundable.
Follow these steps to get started:
- Complete a plan review packet.
- Complete additional forms if you will have catering, vending or a mobile food unit.
- Submit your packet, forms and plan review fee payment in person or by mail.
How long will the process take?
We respond within approximately 10 business days with an approval or to ask more questions about your application.
What happens once I’m approved?
We will email an approval letter to you and the building department. The letter will state which permit you need and the fees you must pay. Once you are ready to open:
- Pay for your permit.
- Schedule a pre-opening inspection at least five business days before your opening date.
Call (253) 798-4711 or come in for a consultation. We're available Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.