Do you work with youth? Looking for a group project?
Tobacco companies spend most of their advertising money where they sell products—the point of sale (POS). In 2016, the tobacco industry spent more than $7.1 billion to promote products in retail settings. POS marketing targets consumers and retailers by promoting cheap, visible and discounted products.
STARS Assessment Grant Project
Policies can change the way tobacco products are promoted, sold and used. We will fund organizations up to $2,500 to collect evidence-based data about tobacco policies in their communities. Youth and organization leaders will use the Standardized Tobacco Assessment for Retail Settings (STARS) tool to complete store assessments.
Who should apply?
Pierce County organizations who work with youth. Youth have powerful voices. The STARS assessment project is an opportunity for youth to research the impact of tobacco polices and share what they learn with local decision makers.
What are the project requirements?
Selected organizations will receive grant funds to:
- Attend a training on how to complete the STARS assessment.
- Identify 6-15 youth volunteers and adult chaperones to complete assessments.
- Work with Health Department staff to identify stores in their community.
- Complete six or more STARS assessments in their community.
- Identify a project coordinator to meet the deliverables of the project scope of work.
- The project coordinator will maintain regular communication with Health Department staff.
- Follow Health Department report and invoice guidelines.
What is the project budget?
|$500|| Attend project training.
|$500-$1,000|| Complete STARS Assessments.
|$500|| Present assessment results to decision makers, community and the Health Department.
|$500|| Optional additional funds.
What are the project dates?
| May 25, 2018
|| Grant applications open.
| May 18, 2018
|| Optional information session.
Health Department auditorium, 10-11 a.m.
| May 25, 2018
|| Applications due by 5 p.m.
| June 1, 2018
|| Selected organizations notified.
| June 2018
|| Project planning and contract process.
| July 9, 2018
|| Required training for youth and organization leaders.
Health Department auditorium, 11 a.m.-3:30 p.m. Lunch provided.
| August 2018
|| Complete STARS assessments.
| Sept.- Dec. 2018
|| Share project results with decision makers and the community.
| Dec. 28, 2018
|| Project reports and invoices due to the Health Department.
Contact Jessica Alvestad at email@example.com or (253) 377-4242.