It’s never too late to quit!
Quitting tobacco is one of the best things you can do for your health.
Tobacco remains the leading cause of preventable death.
Tools and resources can help you kick the habit for good.
You are twice as likely to quit for good when you use resources and professional support.
Talk to your healthcare provider.
Most healthcare plans cover resources that help you quit. You can get:
- Counseling for 2 quit attempts per year. Can include individual, telephone and group sessions.
- FDA-approved medications, 90-day prescription per quit attempt.
If you healthcare plan doesn't cover this, contact the Washington State Health Commissioner.
- Washington State Quitline 1 (800) QUIT-NOW—Counseling with coaches, nicotine gum and patches. Depends on your insurance coverage.
- Asian Smokers Quitline—Free self-help materials, counseling and 2-week nicotine-patch starter kits.
Web app and texting
- Become an Ex—Interactive website and texting program. Develop a plan and get helpful information.
- Smokefree Teen—Educates teens interested in quitting and offers help.
- Texting Cessation Program—Truth Initiative.
- Quit App—Washington State Department of Health.
In Pierce County
- Freedom from Tobacco—CHI Franciscan weekly support groups in Gig Harbor, Tacoma and Lakewood.
- MultiCare tobacco cessation resources.
- It's Never Too Late to Quit—Free and low-cost resources for Pierce County residents.
- American Cancer Society.
- American Lung Association—Online support, training opportunities and information about resources and insurance coverage.
- Tips from Former Smokers—You can learn about real people who live with serious long-term health effects from smoking and secondhand smoke.
- Tips for healthcare providers—How to help patients quit tobacco, nicotine and vapor products.
Contact Jessica Alvestad at firstname.lastname@example.org or (253) 377-4242.