Antibiotics aren’t always the answer.
Antibiotics are a powerful tool. Used properly, they can cure life-threatening infections. But overuse of antibiotics has caused some bacteria to develop resistance. As much as 50 percent of antibiotics prescribed are unnecessary or ineffective as prescribed.
The loss of effective antibiotics seriously limits our ability to fight diseases. We need your help. Use these resources to learn about and promote judicious antibiotic use.
Appropriate antibiotic use
- Adult Appropriate Antibiotic Use Summary
- Child Appropriate Antibiotic Use Summary
- Child Practice Tips
- Virus or bacteria, what’s got you sick?—CDC graphic for patient education.
- Antibiotic Awareness Videos (DOH)
- WA State Department of Health Antibiotic Resistance Page
Reports and newsletters
- 2015 Antimicrobial Susceptibility Summary for Pierce County
- Antibiotic Commonsense Newsletter
Additional links and resources
- Alliance for the Prudent Use of Antibiotics
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
- Center for Veterinary Medicine
- Antibiotic/Antimicrobial Resistance: Protecting Patients and Stopping Outbreaks (CDC)
- World Health Organization (WHO)