Walkable neighborhoods are good for everyone.
Get some fresh air and get to know your neighbors! Walkable neighborhoods are safer, and they can help promote healthy activity and community! They can also appeal to businesses that are more likely to invest in your neighborhood. We help support walkable neighborhoods through funding and technical help.
- Feel safe and clean.
- Include plants, street furniture and lighting.
- Have good paths or sidewalks.
- Make it easy to get around your neighborhood and to public transportation.
- Promote healthy people.
You can improve walkability where you live:
- Organize cleanups.
- Host an audit.
- Share needs, concerns or audit findings with decision makers.
- Encourage neighborhood revitalization.
- Start a neighborhood watch.
- Create or join a walking group.
Contact Diane Evans at email@example.com or (253) 798-6478.
- AARP Livability Fact Sheets
- MAPS Mini Survey
- Foothills Rails to Trails Coalition
- Forever Green Trails
- Tacoma Runners Running Club
- City of Tacoma—Sidewalk FAQ
- Downtown: On the Go!—Transportation Advocate
- Pierce County Public Works—Request for Maintenance
- Washington State Department of Transportation—Safety Tips