Six steps to clean hands
How to wash your hands.
Rinsing your hands is not enough to remove germs. Follow these steps for proper handwashing:
- Wet your hands with warm water.
- Apply plenty of soap.
- Scrub your hands together for at least 20 seconds. Wash the front and back of your hands, between your fingers and under your nails. Scrubbing your hands together loosens germs and dirt and washes them away.
- Rinse your hands with warm water.
- Dry your hands with a paper towel.
- Turn off the water with a paper towel.
When to wash your hands.
It is important to wash your hands:
- Before, during, and after you prepare food. Especially when you touch raw meat, poultry, seafood products, eggs and fresh produce.
- Before you eat.
- Before and after you change a baby's diaper.
- After you use the bathroom.
- After you handle animals or animal waste.
- After you sneeze, cough, or blow your nose.
- After you touch any part of your body, hair, or face.
- After you handle garbage.
- Whenever your hands are dirty.