Prevent and control norovirus at home.
- Is highly contagious.
- Causes severe diarrhea and vomiting, often at the same time.
- Is the same virus often related to cruise ship outbreaks.
Cleaning for norovirus
Clean vomit or diarrhea accidents immediately.
Step 1. Remove vomit or poop.
- Pick up the chunks with paper towels or other disposable material.
- Soak up liquids with absorbent materials. Use kitty litter or dry oatmeal for carpeted areas.
- Double bag and discard.
- Do not use a vacuum cleaner.
Step 2. Sanitize.
- Disinfect hard surfaces using 1 2/3 cups of household bleach per gallon of water. Allow for 1 minute of contact time.
- Sanitize all handles and knobs in your house with the bleach solution.
- Linens (including clothing, towels, napkins): Wash separately in hot water and dry on high.
- Steam clean carpets using the highest setting for heat.
- Avoid cross-contamination (use separate sanitation cloths for bathroom and other surfaces).
- Clean and disinfect all containers used (e.g., buckets).
Keep norovirus at bay
Beat the bug before it bites! View and print our norovirus infographic: