We are in Safe Start Phase 2. Read our press release.

Questions about COVID-19? Visit our COVID-19 pages.

We suspended most in-person services. Read our blog post.

The Health Department is closed July 3 for the Fourth of July Holiday.

Owen Beach

Mental Health First Aid

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

First aid for your mind

It's important

Mental Health First Aid can teach you to see, understand and respond to signs of mental illness and substance use disorders in your community. It can help get people talking about mental health instead of avoiding the topic. When we don’t talk about it, we can miss out on giving help to those who may need it. Anyone can receive training.

Everyone in Pierce County can support well-being and healthy living.

Behavioral health is how you think, feel and act. It’s key to your overall health. With training in Mental Health First Aid you can grow in your knowledge of it and gain new skills.

You can learn how to support good mental health and you might just save a life. 


You can attend a Mental Health First Aid training for youth, military, African Americans or a general audience. You will learn to:

  • Reduce the stigma of mental health.
  • Promote mental health literacy.
  • Increase awareness for mental health.
  • Increase the need for resources in your community.
  • Advocate for policy and system change that supports mental health.

Mental Health First Aid instructors in and near Pierce County

Name and email Organization  Phone
Elizabeth Allen Tacoma-Pierce County Health Department
Johanna Brickle* Washington DSHS  (253) 303-2931
Debra Brownlee* Brownlee Psychological Services (253) 241-4199
Shermoin Clardy Evergreen Recovery Services/UW PCAP (253) 475-0623
Stacy Cleveland Tacoma Rescue Mission (253) 383-4493 x1151
Tony Cloud* Washington DSHS; NAMI (509) 370-5638
Bradley Cotter Valley Cities Counseling (206) 859-8825
Kelli Delaney University of Puget Sound (253) 879-3250
Paul Sawson Lighthouse Christian Center (253) 230-7848
Heather Daley   (360) 556-1250
Heather Fonseca-Bailey MultiCare Health System  
Khalila Fordahm
University of Puget Sound
(843) 323-5472
Eva Frey Pacific Lutheran University
(253) 535-7159
Connie Gardner   (253) 535-7018
Beth Hammonds Pioneer Human Services (508) 255-3055
Michael Hardie* POWERsource
(253) 292-4193
Ben Harris Tacoma Police Department;  
Tacoma-Pierce County Chaplaincy
(253) 861-7945
Erin Hayden Bates Technical College (360) 789-0855
Karen Hye Franciscan Medical Group (732) 829-8220
Laura Inglis* Serenity Hope Counseling, PLLC  (253) 951-8624
Nancy Kuhuski Washington Department of Children, Youth & Families
(360) 516-7153
Kariann Lee University of Puget Sound
(253) 879-3336
Laurel Lemke* POWERsource, NAMI Pierce County
(253) 376-5086
Verna Lilly**   (253) 227-3411
Marla Majors South Sound Behavioral Hospital (Lacey) (253) 753-3388
Derek Murphy Olalla Recovery Centers
(253) 851-2552
Anne Nesbit Key Peninsula Fire Department
(253) 884-2222
Teresa Pan Highline College
(206) 592-3835
Carmetrus Parker Independent
(253) 224-5894
James Presson Telecare Mental Health Services of WA (253) 355-4532
Nelson Rascon* DadsMOVE
(253) 230-3558
Luis Rivera Zaya Tacoma Rescue Mission
(253) 383-4493 x1130
Peggy Rubens-Ellis**   (206) 335-9051
Luke Ruiz Pacific Lutheran University (253) 535-8763
Sarah Shives University of Puget Sound (253) 879-3325
Dianna Sullivan* Boys & Girls Club of South Puget Sound
(253) 970-2802
Deborah Tannenbaum* Centene Corporation (Coordinated Care)
Bradley Thompson Kaiser-Permanente
(206) 601-5442
Lola Toloba Reliable Enterprises (360) 219-7978
Judi Weldy   (253) 219-9339
*—Certified for youth. **—Certified for youth
but not adults.

How to get help

  • Emergency medical services: Call 911.
    • Crisis Line: (800) 273-8255 (Veterans, press 1).
    • Text: 741741, then hit "Send".
  • Suicide Prevention
    • Suicide Lifeline: (800) 273-8255 (TALK).
    • Safer Homes, Suicide Aware.
    • Trans Lifeline: (877) 565-8860.
  • Trevor Project (LGBTQ): (866) 488-7386.
  • Addiction recovery: (866) 789-1511.
  • Treatment referral: (877) 726-4727.
  • South Sound 211 (dial 211 in your phone).



Contact Elizabeth Allen at