We work to protect the health of youth.
We work with community partners to prevent youth marijuana use. Marijuana use is illegal for people under the age of 21.
Why is this work important?
- Marijuana use puts teens at higher risk for addiction.
- Youth who use marijuana are more likely to fail in school.
- Most teens who enter drug treatment programs report marijuana is the main drug they use.
- Youth rarely think they will have problems because of marijuana.
- It is important to talk about the risks early.
The good news is:
- 84% of parents in Pierce County have clear rules about drugs.
- Kids say their parents are the most influential people in their lives.
- Youth are less likely to use marijuana if they believe their community thinks it's wrong for them to use.
It's important for parents, schools, and communities to work together to keep youth healthy and safe.
- YouCan—WA State Department of Health youth marijuana prevention website.
- Youth Marijuana Prevention Toolkit—Learn more about marijuana use and prevention.
- Juego de herramientas de prevención de la marihuana para jóvenes, español—Obtenga más información sobre el uso y la prevención de la marihuana.
- Start Talking Now—Get help to talk to your kids about healthy choices.
- Marijuana 101.
- Lock it Up!
- King County Youth Marijuana Prevention Program—A Parent's Guide to Preventing Underage Marijuana Use.
- WA State Liquor & Cannabis Board—Marijuana.
- Youth Marijuana Prevention 101 Training information.
Contact us at (253) 377-5904 or firstname.lastname@example.org.