Construction Employees reviewing plans

Navigating Rules and Regulations

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Public water systems, individual wells and property development in Pierce County.

We can answer questions and help you interpret these rules and regulations when you:

  • Complete an application.
  • Manage a water system.
  • Want to get a building permit.


Email us at

Public Water Systems

Do you want to:

  • Start a new water system?
  • Manage or operate an existing system?
  • Make changes or update an existing system?

See the rules for water systems below.

Group A

  • WAC Chapter 246-290
    Washington State regulations for large water systems serving 15 or more connections.

Group B


Do you want to:

  • Drill a new well?
  • Decommission or remove an old well?
  • Make changes to an existing well?
  • Hire a licensed contractor?
  • Know what changed because of the Hirst decision?

Rules for well construction

Tacoma-Pierce County information

Specific guidelines for development in Pierce County for:

Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.

Acrobat Reader Download Acrobat Reader Flash Player Download Flash Player Windows Media Player Download Windows Media Player Microsoft Silverlight Download Microsoft Silverlight Word Viewer Download Word Viewer Excel Viewer Download Excel Viewer PowerPoint Viewer Download PowerPoint Viewer