Your Reliable Source

Print
Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

A blog by your local public health experts

Return to Blog

Toxic algae advisory lifted for Lake Minterwood

Communications Specialist Steve Metcalf
by Steve Metcalf09/05/2019 1:44 p.m.
Updated: 09/05/2019

On Sept. 5, we lifted the toxic algae caution advisory for Lake Minterwood on the Key Peninsula. The water is no longer a public health concern for people and pets.

The warm weather months are peak season for toxic algae. When you see algae, don’t swim, wade, waterski, or fish. Keep in mind as wind direction changes, the algae could move elsewhere in the lake. When in doubt, stay out!

Find our list of current surface water advisories at www.tpchd.org/advisories.

What are toxic algae?

Toxic algae, also known as cyanobacteria, occur naturally in lakes. They can produce toxins that make people, pets, and animals sick. Read our brochure to learn more about toxic algae.

How can you spot toxic algae?

Toxic algae can form a scum layer and look like green pea soup. They can also look streaky, be dispersed in the water column, or form clumps. Algae can have different colors, most often green but also brown, red, and blueish. Wind and weather conditions can change the amount and location of algae.

What are the symptoms?

  • Muscle weakness.
  • Vomiting.
  • Diarrhea.
  • Nausea.

See your medical provider if you may have been in water with toxic algae and have any of these symptoms. Small children are at most risk since they have small bodies and are likely to ingest water.

Skin in contact with toxic algae can become irritated or break out in a rash. This is different from Swimmer's Itch.

How can toxic algae affect my pets?

Pets are at great risk. They have small bodies and are more likely to ingest larger amounts of toxic algae. They may drink water with toxic algae and lick their fur. Take your pet to the vet when it shows any of these symptoms.

  • Lethargy.
  • Vomiting.
  • Diarrhea.
  • Convulsions.
  • Difficulty breathing.
  • General weakness.

What should I do if exposed to toxic algae?

You can get sick within minutes to hours of exposure. Rinse off anyone or any pets exposed to toxic algae immediately. Look for signs of illness and seek medical treatment if symptoms occur. For exposed pets, keep them from licking their fur to groom.

Can I eat fish from toxic algae contaminated water?

Avoid eating fish from areas with visible algae. Always clean fish well and discard guts.

What should I do if I see an algae bloom?

  • Don’t drink lake water.
  • Don’t swim or waterski in areas with visible algae.
  • Keep pets and livestock away.

When in doubt stay out!

What causes toxic algae?

Toxic algae need light, the right temperature, and nutrients. You can help to reduce nutrients and prevent toxic algae:

  • Reduce your use of fertilizer.
  • Maintain your septic system.
  • Put pet waste into the trash.

Learn more at www.tpchd.org/toxicalgae. Find our current surface water advisories at www.tpchd.org/advisories.

Communications Specialist Steve Metcalf

by Steve Metcalf

Steve helps share timely and relevant public health information.

Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.

Acrobat Reader Download Acrobat Reader Flash Player Download Flash Player Windows Media Player Download Windows Media Player Microsoft Silverlight Download Microsoft Silverlight Word Viewer Download Word Viewer Excel Viewer Download Excel Viewer PowerPoint Viewer Download PowerPoint Viewer

 

We invite your comments but will delete those with profanity, personal attacks, derogatory statements, ads or promotional material. Tacoma-Pierce County Health Department does not provide personal medical advice; please contact your health care provider.