We invite your comments but will delete those with profanity, personal attacks, derogatory statements, ads or promotional material. Tacoma-Pierce County Health Department does not provide personal medical advice; please contact your health care provider.
The Power of Wellness
You’re more likely to get great customer service from employees who are healthy, cheerful, and engaged. This is something we strive to do every day with the help of our wellness committee. Committee members educate and empower our employees to make healthy choices when it comes to their physical and mental wellbeing. They also encourage employees to have fun, too.
In 2005, we formed our first wellness committee. Since then, the committee has grown to include representation from across the Health Department. The focus is to:
- Increase physical activity.
- Improve access to healthier food in the workplace.
- Reduce and manage stress.
- Support healthy lifestyle choices.
Workplace wellness: fun and games with a purpose
Our wellness initiatives emphasize fun and team building. Employees can make positive behavior changes through activities like:
- In 2014, 24 employees participated in the American Heart Association’s Heart Walk and raised more than $2,000.
- Employees support community-based agriculture programs to get local farm produce delivered to them at work.
- The annual Rainier Dragon Boat Festival Race in Tacoma provides healthy activity and healthy competition. This year, our 28-member team finished seventh out of 15 overall!
These and other activities are open to employees who wants to improve their personal health and wellbeing.
Reaping the rewards of wellness
In 2014, we received our first recognition for our commitment to employee wellness. The Association of Washington Cities' WellCity Award recognizes efforts to promote employee health promotion like:
- Assess employee health needs.
- Maintain supportive policies and procedures.
- Develop wellness resources and tools.
- Evaluate program effectiveness to ensure continued improvement.
For most organizations, it takes four years to achieve WellCity status. We got there in record time, just two months after we joined AWC. We’ve kept our WellCity status since then. Our wellness committee continues to grow and develop new strategies to keep our employees engaged.
And the winner is…you!
Each WellCity Award recipient earns a 2% discount on medical plan premiums. This saves money for employee and the Health Department.
Our commitment to wellness also benefits you! The AWC pools resources to keep overall costs lower and more predictable. This allows member agencies—like the Health Department—more time to invest in our communities. That means we have more resources to better serve the residents of Pierce County.
Our mission is to protect and improve the health of all people and places in Pierce County. A dedicated group of public health professionals work behind the scenes every day to advance this mission. Our wellness program supports them in their work to serve you where you live, learn, work, and play.