Pierce County E-Cigarette Regulations: Proposed Revisions
The Board of Health will hold a public hearing on July 6, 2016 to receive public comment prior to considering the adoption of revisions to regulations pertaining to the use of vapor products set forth in Chapter 9 of the Environmental Health Code.
Read the Chapter 9 Proposed Revisions.
Review the Comparison of Chapter 9 Code Revisions.
On November 18, 2015, Tacoma-Pierce County Board of Health passed Chapter 9 of the Environmental Code: Restrictions on Sale, Use and Availability of Vapor Products and Unregulated Nicotine Devices Regulation.
In April 2016, Washington State signed into law SB 6328. This law requires amendments to our local code. The proposed revisions remove parts of the code that are now managed by the state. This means that:
Chapter 9 will not:
- Regulate the license or retail sale of vapor products. These will be under the authority of the Washington State Liquor and Cannabis Board (LCB). Retailers must obtain licenses from LCB in order to sell vapor products.
- LCB regulations include ID requirement for sales, signage, coupons and product placement.
- Regulate vapor product use outdoors; with exceptions for areas where children congregate. Chapter 9 identifies some of these locations including beaches and sporting arenas in addition to the State's list that includes childcare facilities and schools.
Chapter 9 will continue to:
- Regulate sampling by specifying requirements for ventilation systems and other restrictions.
- Prohibit the use of vapor products in indoor public places and places of employment.
- Issue penalties for violations of the local code and fees for re-inspections.
- Prohibit use of vapor products within 25 feet of entrances, exits, windows and ventilation intakes.
Questions? Call (253) 798-3548.
Learn more about e-cigarettes and health at www.thinkagainpiercecounty.com
Review the information and documents below to learn about the extensive public input processes used to develop the regulations.
- Document Index
- Public Comments (Emails)
- Community Feedback and Conversations
- Board of Health Meeting Documents
- Draft Regulations
- Survey Results
- Public Meeting Handouts
- Research and Supporting Documentation
- Local Health Jurisdictions Documentation
- Vapor Product Research
- Washington State Poison Control emergency phone number: (800) 222-1222
- Washington State Association of Local Public Health Officials Position Paper on Electronic Cigarettes
- Five Key Facts About E-Cigarettes
- E-Cigarettes: Evidence and Policy Options for Washington State
- Electronic Cigarettes: A Policy Statement from the American Heart Association
- CDC Website- Resources to Quit Smoking
Health and Wellness
- (ABCD) Access to Baby and Child Dentistry
- Alcohol and Drug Services
- Diseases and Conditions
- Flu Information
- Health Care Reform
- Health Equity
- Hot Weather
- Marijuana Health Effects
- MRSA (Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus)
- Oral Health Program- Comprehensive Community Oral Health Plan
- Physical Activity and Nutrition
- Pregnancy and Parenting
- Public Health Week
- School and Student Health
- Tobacco Prevention and Control
- WIC Nutrition Program