Pierce County E-Cigarette Regulations
Washington State Legislature recently passed SB 6328. If signed by Governor Inslee this will impact Pierce County Vapor Product Regulations (Chapter 9) as follows:
- Tacoma-Pierce County Health Department will not issue retail permits.
- As of March 30, 2016, we are no longer accepting retail permit applications.
- Retailers who applied for a permit will receive a full refund within the next several weeks.
- Chapter 9 will be revised or amended.
In the near future, Vapor Product Retailers will need to obtain permits through the Washington State Liquor and Cannabis Board.
Pierce County Vapor Product Regulations
- Read the entire Chapter 9 of the Environmental Code: Restrictions on Sale, Use and Availability of Vapor Products and Unregulated Nicotine Devices Regulation
- Summary of Regulations
- E-Cigarette Permit Fact Sheet for Vapor Product Retailers
- E-Cigarette Regulation Fact Sheet for the Public
- Tacoma-Pierce County Board of Health Resolution 2015-4458
|Print on 8 1/2 x 11 paper.
||For use by:|
|25 feet sign||All businesses (except sellers permitted to allow limited sampling.)|
|Minor Sales sign||All sellers of vapor products.|
|Sampling sign||Sellers permitted to allow limited sampling.|
|Under 18 sign||Sellers permitted to allow limited sampling.|
Effective Jan. 1, 2016:
- Child resistant packaging is required for all e-juice and liquids used for vaping.
- Youth are prohibited from possessing or using vapor products.
- All public indoor places and worksites must be vape-free.
- Signage requirements go into effect.
Effective March 30, 2016:
- All retailers of e-cigarettes and vapor products must get a permit from the Tacoma-Pierce County Health Department.
Theses regulations are intended to protect youth from accessing vapor products and forming addiction to nicotine before the brain fully develops. Additionally, it serves to protect the public from exposure to secondhand vapor.
Learn more about e-cigarettes and health at www.thinkagainpiercecounty.com
Questions? Call (253) 798-6400 or email ECigInfo@tpchd.org.
Review the information and documents below to learn about the extensive public input processes used to develop the regulations.
- Document Index
- Public Comments (Emails)
- Community Feedback and Conversations
- Board of Health Meeting Documents
- Draft Regulations
- Survey Results
- Public Meeting Handouts
- Research and Supporting Documentation
- Local Health Jurisdictions Documentation
- Vapor Product Research
- Washington State Poison Control emergency phone number: (800) 222-1222
- Washington State Association of Local Public Health Officials Position Paper on Electronic Cigarettes
- Five Key Facts About E-Cigarettes
- E-Cigarettes: Evidence and Policy Options for Washington State
- Electronic Cigarettes: A Policy Statement from the American Heart Association
- CDC Website- Resources to Quit Smoking
Health and Wellness
- (ABCD) Access to Baby and Child Dentistry
- Alcohol and Drug Services
- Diseases and Conditions
- Flu Information
- Health Care Reform
- Health Equity
- Marijuana Health Effects
- MRSA (Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus)
- Oral Health Program- Comprehensive Community Oral Health Plan
- Physical Activity and Nutrition
- Pregnancy and Parenting
- Public Health Week
- School and Student Health
- Tobacco Prevention and Control
- WIC Nutrition Program