Online Food Worker Card
Get Your Card Online!You can now get your Food Worker card online! Go through the training, take the test and get your card at your convenience. The training and test is offered in English, Cambodian, Cantonese, Korean, Mandarin, Russian, Spanish, Vietnamese and Closed Caption.
Before you get started:
- Make sure you are connected to a working printer. You will be printing your own card when you have completed the training and test.
- The cost of the class is $10 and can be paid with VISA, MasterCard or Discover Card and debit cards with the VISA or MasterCard logo. Payment will be required after you have passed the test. You cannot make arrangements to pay later with a credit card, check or cash. NOTE: The charges for the food worker card will be listed under Tacoma-Pierce County Health Department on your monthly bank or billing statement.
- Turn off your pop-up blocker. The pop-up blocker may cause problems while signing on to the website. The pop-up blocker control can usually be found under Tools on your browser menu bar.
- Make sure you have the latest version of Adobe Flash on your computer. You can download Adobe Flash for free at http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/.
- Give yourself about an hour to complete the training and test.
Now that you’re ready, take the online course and test at:
Frequently Asked Questions:
Q: Who do I contact if I have a problem with the online class?
A: If you are having a problem you can call (253) 798-6145. Our office hours are Monday- Friday, 8:00am to 4:30pm. If calling after 4:30pm, you can leave a message and one of our staff will call you back the next business day. You can also email us at FoodWorkerCard@tpchd.org. When leaving a message or sending an email, please include:
- Your full name;
- Phone number and/or email address;
- A description of the problem you are having.
Q: Can I stop during the training and complete it later on?
A: Yes. Your training session is good for 30 days from the date you originally started the training. You can log back in and just click on the Complete button to finish the training any time during this 30 day period. After the 30 days your training session will expire and you will need to start back at the beginning. If you stop during the test, you will be required to retake the entire test.
Q: My session has timed out. Now what do I do?
A: The online training will time out after about 30 minutes if there is no activity. Simply, sign out and then log back in again to complete the training.
Q: How do I print or reprint a card?
A: You can print yourr new card within four days of completing the test. You can reprint at any time by logging on to www.foodworkercard.wa.gov. Check with your specific county for reprint fees. Be sure to use the exact same registration information you originally signed in with.
Q: How can I get a card that is valid for three years?
A: If you have an unexpired Washington State Food Worker Card, bring your old card and the card you received online into your local Health Department and we will issue you a three-year card. If your old card has expired, you will only be able to receive a two-year card. You can receive a five-year card if you have completed an approved advanced training course such as Serve Safe Food Managers Course.
Q: Why does it cost $10?
A: The $10 fee is set in state regulation, Washington Administrative Code 246-217-025. The fee is used by local health departments to defray the costs of food worker training and education, administration of the program, and testing of applicants.
Q: Do I have to sign my card once I print it?
A: Yes. Your signature is required on your valid food worker card.
For more FAQs please go to www.doh.wa.gov/foodworkercard.