Food Worker Card
Save time! Click here to take the Food Worker Card class and test now.
Instructor taught classes are held:
- Mondays at 9 am
- Thursday evenings at 6 pm.
Beginning January 2014, classes will be held on the 1st and 3rd Thursday of each month. Holidays excluded.
We encourage you to take the class online but we still have kiosks available Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m.-2:30 p.m. to take the class at the Health Department, if the class times don't work for you.
The Food Worker Card class consists of reading a booklet, watching a video, a short lecture or question/answer period and a multiple choice written exam.
Food Worker Cards are required for all food establishment workers in Washington State.
The test is offered in several languages. Click your language to view the Food Worker Card Manual.
How Long Does it Last?
Approximately 1 1/2 hours
How Much Does it Cost?
Food Worker Cards cost $10, cash only.
Do I Need to Pre-Register?
No pre-registration is required. Class size is limited to first come, first served basis. We recommend arriving 15 minutes before class starts.Only persons needing a card will be allowed in the classroom. Do not bring children, as there is no place for them to be left unattended.
What do I Need to Bring to the Class?
Photo ID (any photo ID is accepted) and your unexpired Food Worker Card (if applicable).
All other materials will be provided.
Where is the Class?
Tacoma-Pierce County Health Department, 3629 South D Street in Tacoma. (corner of 37th and Pacific)
Classes are held in the auditorium.
Parking is accessible off D Street.
Use double doors by flagpole.
When Will I Get my Card?
Cards are issued at the end of the class after successful completion of the test.
When Will My Card Expire?
If this is your first time receiving a health card or if your last card is expired, your card will expire 2 years from the issue date. You may receive a 3 year card if your current card is not expired and only if it is to expire within 60 days.
Is There Another Option for me Instead of the Class?
- Take the training and test online, pass, pay and print your card. The online course is offered in English, Spanish, Korean, Vietnamese, Cambodian, Mandarin, Cantonese, Russian and closed caption. Online Class>; or
- We have six computer kiosks in our lobby to take the Food Worker Card interactive tutorial and test. The cost is $10. The kiosks are available Monday through Friday between 8:30 am and 2:30 p.m., by appointment. Please call (253) 798-6460 and press 0, to schedule today.
- Cards are valid in all of Washington State.
- Parking is limited. Please arrive half an hour before the class to line up. There is no place for drivers/children to wait inside the building during evening classes.
- Tacoma-Pierce County Health Department is a tobacco-free campus.
Please call (253) 798-6475, for current class information.Other Resources:
The Do it Right, Serve it Safe Food Safety training DVD is available for purchase.
Call (253) 798-6460, to place your order.
Mandatory Alcohol Server Training (Washington State Liquor Control Board Server Training)www.liq.wa.gov/education/alcohol-awareness