Existing Food Business

Changes to an Existing Food Business

Is your food establishment closed? Fill out this form and email it to us at food@tpchd.org.

Are you selling your food establishment or want to make changes to the current menu or equipment? Please read the information below to determine the steps you need to take!

Change of Ownership

Operating permits are site specific and are not transferable to new owners. New owners must complete a change of ownership statement and application and make payment for their operating permit before opening. To change ownership you must provide a copy of your Washington State Business License or UBI. If there are changes to the menu or equipment, a plan review is required.

Changes to Menu or Equipment

Washington State food safety regulation requires food establishments making changes to menu or equipment to have their plans reviewed and approved by Tacoma-Pierce County Health Department before starting construction or making changes.

Follow these 4 steps to get started:

1) Food Plan Review Application Process and Fees

2) Obtain Water and Sewer Approval

3) Food Plan Review Application

4) Complete Additional Questions
There are additional questions for certain types of facilities. These questions help us review your application. Complete each of the forms that apply to your food establishment to avoid a delay in your approval.

Catering–Complete these questions if you will offer catering.

Mobile Unit–Complete these questions if your food establishment will be a mobile cart, mobile trailer or mobile truck.

You must submit a complete application packet including appropriate plan review fee(s). Plan review fees are non-refundable.

Consultations are available in 30 minute increments by appointment or walk-in, Monday-Friday from 8 a.m.-12 p.m. and 1 p.m.-4 p.m.

Applications will be accepted in person, Monday-Friday from 8 a.m.-12 p.m. and 1 p.m.-4 p.m. or by mail at:

Food & Community Safety
Attn: Plan Review
3629 South D Street, MS 1059
Tacoma, WA 98418-6813

For questions or additional information about this process, please call the Plan Review line at (253) 798-4711.

Food Establishment Permits

Washington Administrative Code requires permit holders to post permits in a location conspicuous to consumers. Please check your permit to ensure the information is accurate. You will receive your permit upon payment of outstanding account balances.

A mobile food unit's name and its valid food establishment permit must be posted on the mobile food unit in a place easily visible to customers during operation. The name of the unit and the name on its permit must be the same.

Operating permits are valid from February 1 through January 31 each year. Late fees are assessed on February 2. Permits are not transferrable between owners or locations. If your permit is expired or doesn’t have your name on it, contact us at (253) 798-6460.

New Faces

Food inspectors changed field areas recently, so you may see a new face next time you get inspected. We encourage you to ask for Health Department identification when an inspector arrives in your facility.

New Food Code: How does it affect you?

The Washington State Food Code was revised May 1, 2013. Cut leafy greens are now considered a potentially hazardous food that must be maintained at temperatures of 41°F or below. Click here to find out more information. View additional changes here. Review the revised Washington Administrative Code here. You can also download a PDF copy of WAC 246-215 here.

Renew your Operating Permit or Pay an Invoice Online

Need to make payment? Click here to pay online with Visa or MasterCard. You will need your Account ID and Invoice ID—both can be found on your invoice or statement.