Radon is a radioactive gas that can cause health problems, primarily lung cancer, in people. Radon is formed by the breakdown of uranium in rock, soil and water. Naturally occurring, low levels of uranium are produced from many types of bedrock found in the ground. Radon is colorless, odorless and tasteless. Once formed, radon moves through the ground and into the air where it can accumulate to unsafe levels inside of your home. Unless you test for it, there is no way of telling how much is present. The Surgeon General warns that radon is the second leading cause of lung cancer in the United States.

While radon is found in all 50 states it is not commonly found in western Washington because of the type of geology in this area. However, if you have not tested your home for radon it is suggested that you do. Testing for radon is simple and relatively inexpensive. The National Safety Council offers low-cost short- and long-term radon test kits. Find out more at www.nsc.org/learn/safety-knowledge/Pages/Radon%20Poisoning%20Prevention.aspx.

Email us at cleanair 4kids@tpchd.org for more information.