Learn more about mold, possible health symptoms from mold, how to get mold problems fixed and where to find legal or housing assistance.
Mold InformationThe Health Department does not provide mold inspections, testing, cleaning or repairs. Search online or the yellow pages for these services.
Tenant and Landlord Information
- Mold (Washington Department of Health)
- Mold: Frequently Asked Questions
- Mold In My Home: What Do I Do? (California Department of Health Services)
- A Brief Guide to Mold, Moisture, and Your Home (EPA): Includes tips on hiring a professional.
Legal and Housing Information
- Prevention Mold: Landlord and Resident Responsibilities
- Pierce County Planning and Land Services: Code and environmental enforcement.
- City of Tacoma Landlord-Tenant Program: Building code violations, repair/maintenance issues, rent/deposit issues and dispute resolution. For landlord/tenant concerns in the City of Tacoma limits, contact the Landlord-Tenant Coordinator at (253) 591-5163.
- Your Rights as a Tenant in Washington State
- What to do if Your Rental Needs Repairs: Includes a sample "Notice Requesting Repairs" and other requests, landlord responsibilities and what to do if repairs are not made.
- A Guide for Residents with Disabilities: Reasonable Accommodations and Modifications informational guide with sample requests.
- Guidance for Health Care Professionals: Discusses how to verify Reasonable Accommodation and Modification Requests and includes a sample request.
- National Center for Healthy Housing: "Reasonable Accommodation and Housing Code Compliance Resources" - includes a sample request and a helpful checklist.
- USDA Single Family Housing Repair Loans and Grants
- Tacoma-Pierce County Housing Project and Home Justice Project: (253) 572-5134
- Northwest Justice Project
- CLEAR Legal Help: Call 1 (888) 201-1014 weekdays from 9:30 a.m. until 12:30 p.m. Seniors can call 1 (888) 387-7111.
- Washington Law Help
- Pierce County Housing Resources Brochure
- Human Rights and Fair Housing Program: If you feel you are being discriminated against based on race, ethnicity, gender, family status, disability or other issues, contact Fair Housing at 1 (888) 766-8800.
- Office of Civil Rights
- Housing and Shelter Services
Call the Mold Phone Line for recorded information at (253) 798-6470, option 6. If you need information mailed to you, leave a message with your name and mailing address or email us.
Clean Air for Kids program provides asthma resources and asthma home visits for children with asthma to help with medication management, identifies causes of asthma symptoms and provides simple solutions. Click Here to learn more.
- Applications and Forms
- Business Pollution Prevention
- Community Safety
- Contaminated Sites
- Drinking Water & Wells
- Environmental Health Indicators Project
- Environmental Health Priorities
- Healthy Home Environment
- Key Peninsula Office
- Planning for Healthy Communities
- Prevent and Respond to Flooding
- Septic Systems
- Surface Water: Lakes, Beaches and Shellfish
- Waste Management
- Wood Smoke Reduction Program