Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Carbon monoxide is an odorless, colorless gas that is created whenever a flame is present. Some homes have been found to have concentrations of this gas that are above the federal health standard set under the Clean Air Act.Generator

Major Sources
Carbon monoxide is emitted by any combustion source including burning charcoal, gasoline engines running in attached garages or sheds, un-vented kerosene heaters and tobacco smoke.

Health Effects
Carbon monoxide interferes with your body's ability to use oxygen. Depending on the amount you inhale, it can affect your balance, harm your heart, make you tired and cause headaches, confusion, nausea, and dizziness. Very high levels can cause death.

Controls

  • If the tip of your gas range burner flame is yellow or orange instead of blue, have the range adjusted by a trained service representative.
  • Have your gas or oil company or a certified technician inspect your furnace, gas water heater and gas clothes dryer at least once a year.
  • Make sure stoves and heaters are vented to the outside and that the exhaust systems don't leak.
  • Never leave a car or mower engine running in an attached shed or garage, or any enclosed space.

Purchase a Carbon Monoxide Monitor
If you heat your home with gas, oil, wood, propane, kerosene, pellets or any other fuel that is burned you should purchase a carbon monoxide monitor. If you cook indoors with any fuel that produces a flame, have a gas hot water heater or an attached garage you should purchase a carbon monoxide monitor. Carbon monoxide monitors can be found at almost any hardware or home fix-it store.

For more information call (253) 798-7674 or email us.

Carbon Monoxide fact Sheets