Each year thousands of Pierce County residents swim in public swimming pools at parks, hotels, athletic clubs, apartment complexes and schools. If not properly operated and maintained these pools and spas may create public health hazards. Tacoma-Pierce County Health Department promotes recreational water safety within the community. We:
- Review plans of all new and remodeled public swimming pools and spas.
- Educate pool and spa operators about health and safety issues.
- Conduct routine inspections.
- Investigate reports of illness and potential safety hazards.
The following links provide you with swimming pool and spa safety information:
Educational Opportunities and Materials
See available training workshops and download educational materials.
Plan Review Process
Visit this section for plan review information and application materials. Plan review is required prior to the construction of any new public swimming pool, spa, wading pool or spray park or before remodeling any facility.
Pool Safety Resources
Check here for useful links to other pool safety websites.
Water Recreation Facility Regulations
Review Washington State rules and regulations governing public water recreation facilities.
- Applications and Forms
- Business Pollution Prevention
- Community Safety
- Contaminated Sites
- Drinking Water & Wells
- Environmental Health Indicators Project
- Environmental Health Priorities
- Healthy Home Environment
- Planning for Healthy Communities
- Prevent and Respond to Flooding
- Septic Systems
- Surface Water: Lakes, Beaches and Shellfish
- Waste Management
- Wood Smoke Reduction Program